Server names for lab scenario

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Hello Eugenio and others,

I worked with the sample code which was offered during the beta 1 and beta 2 of Geneva and would like to create a lab with the current solution offered in this well written guide.

Previous guides did inform us of server names used for lab servers, server roles and accounts to be created etc. The current guide seems to mention only the software/roles required (in the Preface of the documentation).

I would like to use the current code sample to create a lab with three server roles, AD, ADFS and IIS/Application server and probably even more to introduce another realm to work out a federation with a partner organization.

Anyway, what server names should be used to make the solution work, or is it completely generic?

Thank you.

DannyA

Coordinator
Mar 3, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Everywhere you need a specific name, you'll find placeholders in the book:

For example in this fragment:

<federatedAuthentication>
<wsFederation passiveRedirectEnabled="true"
issuer="https://{adatum host}/{issuer endpoint} "
realm="https://{adatum host}/a-Expense.ClaimsAware/"
requireHttps="true" />
<cookieHandler requireSsl="true" />
</federatedAuthentication>

I think in the samples themselves I think we are using "localhost" for everything because we wanted to allow "single box" development and evaluation. Check the ADFS guides for specific, step by step configuration.

Eugenio

And thanks for the "well written guide"! :-)

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Thank you Eugenio.

Alas I spend much of the weekend trying to set things up without results.

The DependecyChecker has difficulty scanning properly on a Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 system. I had to configrued 'set-executionpolicy unrestricted' In PowerShell for both x86 and x64 to fix some of the scan report results (as mentioned elsewhere) but it still doesn't detect the WIF SDK install.

Then I went on trying to install all samples; the guide does mention what solution is offered, but not how to set it up. I suspect the target audience for the guide are developers only?

I was also trying to get hints from Nick Pierson's guide on 'ADFS 2.0 Federation with a WIF application step-by-step' available on Connect, but that guide is missing the 'multiple partners' scenario which I am interested in.

Nevertheless, it is a good read to get an understanding of what can be done.

Thanks.

DannyA.

Coordinator
Mar 8, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Hi Danny,

Developers are definitely a core audience for the guide. Me did make one compromise in the book: avoiding any ADFS V2 specifics as ADFS v2 is not released yet. We initially had more detailed screenshots and procedures, but they changed all the time. We could have either: shipped the book with the ADFS version we had at that time (and risk the book becoming obsolete very soon) or stick to the more stable components, the general principles (that are less likely to change) and rely on product specific documentation. We chose the latter.

Have you checked the ADFS specific docs? This is closer to the "Multiple partners" scenario. (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd807066%28WS.10%29.aspx). Just bear in mind it might differ from the version of ADFS you have (Beta, RC, etc).

Eugenio