System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: The system cannot find the file specified.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Hi,

I am getting the following error when trying to run the source projects. I have tried setting the loaduserProfile setting in IIS to true, but this results in a HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable. Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

Error:

The system cannot find the file specified.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: The system cannot find the file specified.

[CryptographicException: The system cannot find the file specified.
]
System.Security.Cryptography.ProtectedData.Protect(Byte[] userData, Byte[] optionalEntropy, DataProtectionScope scope) +453
Microsoft.IdentityModel.Web.ProtectedDataCookieTransform.Encode(Byte[] value) +59

[InvalidOperationException: ID1074: A CryptographicException occurred when attempting to encrypt the cookie using the ProtectedData API (see inner exception for details). If you are using IIS 7.5, this could be due to the loadUserProfile setting on the Application Pool being set to false. ]
Microsoft.IdentityModel.Web.ProtectedDataCookieTransform.Encode(Byte[] value) +151
Microsoft.IdentityModel.Tokens.SessionSecurityTokenHandler.ApplyTransforms(Byte[] cookie, Boolean outbound) +44
Microsoft.IdentityModel.Tokens.SessionSecurityTokenHandler.WriteToken(XmlWriter writer, SecurityToken token) +478
Microsoft.IdentityModel.Tokens.SessionSecurityTokenHandler.WriteToken(SessionSecurityToken sessionToken) +86
Microsoft.IdentityModel.Web.SessionAuthenticationModule.WriteSessionTokenToCookie(SessionSecurityToken sessionToken) +100
Microsoft.IdentityModel.Web.SessionAuthenticationModule.AuthenticateSessionSecurityToken(SessionSecurityToken sessionToken, Boolean writeCookie) +34
Microsoft.IdentityModel.Web.WSFederationAuthenticationModule.SetPrincipalAndWriteSessionToken(SessionSecurityToken sessionToken, Boolean isSession) +83
Microsoft.IdentityModel.Web.WSFederationAuthenticationModule.SignInWithResponseMessage(HttpRequest request) +540
Microsoft.IdentityModel.Web.WSFederationAuthenticationModule.OnAuthenticateRequest(Object sender, EventArgs args) +246
System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +68
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I think this error might have something to do with a piece of software on ym computer called Rapport, which is used by some online banks to help prevent fraud. - i will continue investigating.

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Samples are working now with Rapport uninstalled

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Hi,

The reason(s) for this error are outlined here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Geneva/thread/c8574875-e134-475b-9a8c-1f8760cec89f

http://marianosz.blogspot.com/2007/09/certificate-access-error-in-iis-hosted.html

I ran into this error myself in lab setups and in my case it was sufficient to adjust the application pool settings.

DannyA